Saturday, April 14, 2007

Fueled by Tea

The greatest gift from God to mankind in my very humble opinion, is good old Tea. Not that my opinion counts in any case but since you are reading this, I might as well subject you to it :)

My love for Tea is quite recent although I have been drinking ever since I was 5. When I was a kid, drinking milk was akin to drinking castor oil and the Tea made at my home was comfortably a much superior alternative. Besides, tea was an extremely good drink to have at 2AM in the night in the midst of an extremely tense card game .... a very routine thing to do during Summer holidays.

However, over the years, I got incerasingly disillusioned with Tea .. .especially the one made at home as it was almost always too strong, too sweet and had too much milk which was too fatty... in short I found it ghastly. Of course, as I got a little more enlightened and introduced to the world of Starbucks, coffee was quite an alternative, especially a Tall/Grande Cappucino without sugar and with cinnamon sprinkled liberally on it.

Well this was so until I got introduced to good old English Breakfast tea... and thats where my love affair with Tea was rekindled. It all started in a rather tacky B&B in Chester ... the Scotish lady who owned it was quite friendly and good to talk to, but her breakfasts were something which we would not miss for anything. So apart from the usual fare of Sausages (which I don't eat), fried mushrooms, fried eggs, variuous cereal, various juices, breads, yoghurt etc, there was that special cup of English breakfast tea to deal with and my word it kept me fueled for the day.
I used to compare that cup of tea with one of Jeev's pick-me-up lifesavers for Bertie Wooster - of course that was made of raw eggs and Worcestershire sauce but Tea (especially English Breakfast) has almost exactly the same effect on yours truly.

One of the best places to have tea though is the National Arts Gallery at Trafalgar Square in London. The canteen serves the world's best Tea, croissant and scones! Another good place to have excellent Tea is the T Centre at Churchgate, Mumbai -> They even show live football / cricket matches if you go there in the right season.

Finally, my latest craze: I got these funny packs of exotic Tea called Tazo free with Breakfast cereal ... verdict so far: 10/10!

For more on Tea, you might want to see this DNA's essential read at this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A61345

No comments: